We recommend on regular base an amalgam free treatment. However, many people still have amalgam fillings in their mouths from years past. These fillings are not particularly pleasing to the eye, and we know that by unavoidable design, amalgam fillings ultimately may result in a weaker tooth structure. Tooth Colored Restorations create fillings that are not only unnoticeable but also add strength to weakened teeth. These restorations are esthetically pleasing and very strong thanks to new bonding technologies.
Placing tooth-colored restorations (onlays).
This process requires two appointments.
Your First Appointment:
- The old filling may be removed along with any additional decay.
- An impression is made of your teeth. A model of your teeth is created digitally.
- A temporary onlay is placed on the tooth.
At the CEREC Lab in our office: A restoration is digitally designed and fabricated.
Your Second Appointment:
- The temporary onlay is removed.
- A conditioning gel is placed on your tooth to prepare it for the new onlay.
- Bonding cement is placed on the tooth and a high intensity light bonds the resin to the tooth.
- The tooth is then polished.
Your teeth are restored to a natural look and feel, they are stronger and the tooth is protected!
We recommend to replace amalgam fillings only, if they are clinically insufficient, or esthetically unpleasant.